Tuesday, February 12, 2008

In Stillness: Are We One or Two?

Sandy Smyth, a student at Yale Divinity School, has been so kind as to share some more of her poetry with us. To offer a word of explanation, she states "they are how I feel when I am still and aware of God's creation..."

Church Outdoors

In the woods
Among the pines
I feel alive and energized;
Though chill is in my bones, 
I feel whiskey warm inside,
Lit by a red coal fire.

Awaiting heavy snow,
I huddle under blankets worn,
Feeling safe in this still peace;
Embraced by Love so wide
I feel no longer torn;
My church is the outdoors;
My poetry, my song.


In Stillness: 
Are We One or Two?

In Stillness,
When I have
No thought,
The woods and I are one;
Frost-laced leaves
On the ground,
Icy boughs above,
Landscape the inner me.

The body furry warm,
Lying by my side,
Reminds me I
Am not alone
When deeply steeped
In Thee.
So knit together
By Your Love,
Are we one or two?

No comments: