Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Our next voice of inspiration is that of Elizabeth Wilkinson, a Master's student at Yale Divinity School. Known as a poet and as a friend to nature, Elizabeth believes that the ideas of nature teaching us is important in terms of renewal. Those lucky enough to know Elizabeth are familiar with her insightful, creative, and often humorous thoughts on God, humankind, and nature. 

In a basic sense, Elizabeth is aware of the material renewal of nature and that we renew the earth even as it renews us. Spiritually speaking, she also believes that this renewing process extends to a spiritual and metaphysical level, such as exemplified in the use of bread and wine to represent the mystery of God indwelling. Please share these insights as you read on:


"Planting" by Elizabeth Wilkinson


I do not know who was feeding who,

Standing there, arms dropped down

Depositing one seed  and then another.

Curved back, sunlight passing through

I, the eye of the needle, sewing the earth.


I wanted to say, I will take care of you,

I will be back later with a watering can.

But the little faces stared up at me,

Stearn, silent, hard faces,  as if to say,

"Our mothers are digesting in your stomach."


Planting, they call it, as if I will really

Reap what I sow when I, too, am dust,

When I, too, am fed on these most

Holy mysteries of water, wind,

And earth.






No comments: